Participant Rules – 2018 Holiday Window Decorating Contest
Fairfax City’s Office of Economic Development invites city businesses to a holiday window decorating contest to celebrate the season, create a festive atmosphere, attract visitors, and showcase your business.
How it works:
- Email by November 30, Fairfax City’s Office of Economic Development at EconomicDevelopment@fairfaxva.gov your business name and address with the subject line “Holiday Window”.
- Decorate your ground-level storefront window between November 23 and December 2 with classic Christmas story themes such as How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Elf, Polar Express, Home Alone, Frozen, and Frosty the Snowman.
- Judges will view the windows December 3 – 7 and photos of the displays will be posted on Fairfax City’s Economic Development Facebook page @FairfaxCityEDA.
- Feel free to post photos of your display on social media using #FFXCityHoliday and by tagging @FairfaxCityEDA.
- Winners will be announced December 14 on FairfaxCityConnected.com blog post, the EDA’s Facebook page, and in the January 2019 Cityscene.
- Keep your decorations up through the holidays but please keep take them down by January 6, 2019.
- Keep it family-friendly!
- If you use lights, please only use traditional non-blinking ones.
- Refrain from including business-related announcements, promotions, product-related or business-related advertisements and/or events as part of your display.
- Decorated windows should be viewable from the sidewalk but must not obstruct the sidewalk and/or pedestrian right of way.
- Grand Prize – selected by the Mayor and City Council
- People’s Choice – the display that receives the most Facebook Likes on @FairfaxCityEDA
- Winners will be presented with a trophy to display in their business until next year’s competition.
Judging Criteria for Grand Prize:
- General Presentation – overall effect, display and placement of decorations, originality, and creativity
- Workmanship – craftmanship, design detail, effective use of color and material
For information email EconomicDevelopment@fairfaxva.gov or contact us at 703-385-7944.