Fairfax City’s Office of Economic Development is excited to announce our 2nd Annual Holiday Window Decorating Contest! In our inaugural year, the contest encouraged businesses to decorate their storefront windows in classic Christmas story themes to help create a festive environment that makes Fairfax City a destination to visit, shop, and celebrate the holiday season.
This year, we’re calling on businesses city-wide to celebrate the season with us by decorating their windows in a “Candy Cane” theme. Think all things red, white, and sweet to showcase local businesses and transform Fairfax City into a winter wonderland.
How it works:
- Email by December 5, Fairfax City’s Office of Economic Development at EconomicDevelopment@fairfaxva.gov your business name and address with the subject line “Holiday Window Contest”.
- Decorate your ground-level storefront window between November 29 and December 5 in the candy cane theme using red, white, candy canes, gingerbread houses, etc. to create a vibrant wonderland.
- Judges will view the windows December 9 – 13 and photos of the displays will be posted on Fairfax City’s Economic Development Facebook page @FairfaxCityEDA.
- Feel free to post photos of your display on social media using #FFXCityHoliday and by tagging @FairfaxCityEDA.
- Winners will be announced December 16 on FairfaxCityConnected.com blog post, the EDA’s Facebook and Instagram pages, and in the January 2020 Cityscene.
- Keep your decorations up through the holidays but please keep take them down by January 6, 2020.
- Keep it family-friendly!
- If you use lights, please only use traditional non-blinking ones.
- Refrain from including business-related announcements, promotions, product-related or business-related advertisements and/or events as part of your display.
- Decorated windows should be viewable from the sidewalk but must not obstruct the sidewalk and/or pedestrian right of way.
- Grand Prize – selected by the Mayor and City Council
- People’s Choice – the display that receives the most Facebook Likes on @FairfaxCityEDA
- Winners will be presented with a trophy to display in their business until next year’s competition.
Judging Criteria for Grand Prize:
- General Presentation – overall effect, display and placement of decorations, originality, and creativity
- Workmanship – craftmanship, design detail, effective use of color and material
For information email EconomicDevelopment@fairfaxva.gov or contact us at 703-385-7944.