Faces of Fairfax City: OSA Martial Arts
The aim of Martial Arts is not about fighting, rather, its Chinese character “mu” literally means to “stop the fighting.” It is a means of ending conflict skillfully, with the ultimate goal of peace. In studying the skills of martial arts, students will learn to apply its philosophies to all aspects of their lives.
At OSA Martial Arts, Instructor Sethi guides her students to a lifetime journey of self-improvement and self-empowerment. She addresses both the physical and mental elements of training to ensure that her students gain confidence, improve their health and focus, and achieve their goals.
Whether you’re looking to feel empowered in studying self-defense or you’d like for your child to gain confidence and discipline, contact OSA Martial Arts to find out how studying martial arts will help you advance towards those goals.
Tell us a little about OSA Martial Arts.
We teach traditional self-defense martial art classes: Taekwondo, Hapkido, Bon Kuk Gum Bub (Korean Sword), and Yudo (Judo)/Jiu-Jitsu. For our community, we offer 6-week program for women self-defense, corporate wellness, or for pre-schools. Additionally, we have camps for winter break, spring break, summer break, teacher workdays, and snow days. We offer before and after-school care for parents which include martial arts. Lastly, we have a women empowerment group that focuses on coaching females to succeed in life, in business, and in martial arts. Through this group we do team building and leadership workshops and a Friday for Females Interview to highlight females and their strengths and successes.
What makes OSA Martial Arts unique to Fairfax City?
Our business is unique first and foremost because of our long-standing history of success. OSA and its curriculum started in 1973. Most schools offer martial art programs that combine styles in which case you learn a little bit of each. We offer each style individually with comprehensive curriculums. We offer a women-only class (taught by a female). Additionally, we are family-oriented. Whether parents or siblings take part in our program is irrelevant as we offer events like family picnics or parent night out.
How many years have you been in the city and what encouraged you to take the leap to get started?
8 years (September will be 9). I realized that not many females engage in martial arts and after analyzing why, I noticed that not many females own and run a martial arts school; they have male counterparts but do not do the entire show on their own. In my mind, to show females that it is great to do martial arts, I had to show them by starting a school! Additionally, I wanted to bring back integrity to martial arts where the student comes first and foremost, where their successes are celebrated. I wanted a place that is challenging, fun, and family oriented! And here I am 8 years later.
What inspired you to open OSA Martial Arts in Fairfax City?
Fairfax City is a small close-knit community. We are here to help each other. During the early phases of COVID I saw Jennifer Rose and Shannon Daniels create initiatives to help Fairfax City businesses and now this! It is joy to see people coming together not only times of need but in general and I enjoy being part of a community of kindness.
What do you enjoy most about having a business in Fairfax City?
I can walk anywhere to get anything I want! Tea, snacks, food, water, the park, and I get to exercise while doing it! I love taking my students on the walks too.
How has OSA Martial Arts changed since its opening?
I have more families! I started with a lot of kids. Now I have adults in their own classes and families training together. Additionally, the school has progressed to graduating students to Black Belts who are now learning how to be Instructors!
What do clients and/or customers say they love about OSA Martial Arts?
1. They love the family atmosphere.
2. They love the confidence that they (adults) or their kids gain.
3. They love the life-skills kids learn (never giving up, respect, courtesy to others, discipline, and much more).
4. For adults, the ability to do things they thought the lost (i.e.: flexibility, less joint pain, more mobility)
5. The flexibility of our programs.
6. The family events we do!
What are some of your fondest memories or biggest successes since you’ve opened?
1. Any class that our Master Instructor-Master Stout teaches are fun memories. They give students and Instructors an opportunity to advance their training as higher-ranking students to a different level.
2. Another memory is when my students collected toys during Christmas to donate to families. We collected 2 boxes! I love to see my younger students embody the tenants of martial arts (one of them being courtesy).
3. I have had a few students be bullied at school and now stand with confidence in themselves! To a point where there is no bullying. I love hearing these changes!
4. Having a women-only class with 20+ students that developed the confidence of females to the point that they joined co-ed classes.
What’s next for you and OSA Martial Arts?
Right now, we are having a blast with our Summer Camp! Next will be prepping for an awesome Before/After-School. The goal for my business is to teach others how to manage what I do so that they can open OSA Martial Art Schools.
Are there any fun facts you would like residents and visitors to know?
We are a family! And we have activities for everyone (martial arts and non-martial arts). If you cannot get your kids to our classes, we will help you! Our goal is to help you with yours! And the classes/programs are run by a female instructor! We are big on helping our community. For example:
1. Currently if you come through your school PTA, we will donate a portion of the money to your PTA.
2. Fundraiser for Breast Cancer Awareness.
3. Fundraiser for a Domestic Violence Shelter.
4. Collecting money/food cans for Food for Others during COVID and during Thanksgiving time.
If you have ideas, we welcome them. As I said earlier, Fairfax City helps its community – we are no different.
When you’re not working, where in Fairfax City do you like to spend your time?
I like to go to the small coffee shops in the area and read. I will take walks in the area.
How can people follow you on social media?
Our website: https://www.osafamily.com/