In addition to a vibrant local economy, crossroads location, and one of the lowest overall tax rates in Northern Virginia, Fairfax City is home to more than 4 million square feet of office space and more than 3 million square feet of retail space.
The City also takes an aggressive role in redeveloping key economic areas to encourage greater space diversity, improved visual appearance and better organized pedestrian and traffic flows by committing approximately $40 million in public infrastructure improvements to support private development.
Contact the Fairfax City EDA today to allow us to connect you to a broker in the area.
Technology Zone BPOL
The Business, Professional and Occupational license (BPOL) tax is an annual tax typically based on gross receipts for the preceding year. Existing businesses must pay the BPOL by March 1, and new businesses must submit a BPOL application within 30 days of the start of operations. BPOL rates can be easily calculated using the Fairfax Business Tax Calculator.
Fairfax City has established a Technology Zone in the city limits, which allows Qualified Technology Businesses to acquire special tax exemptions. A Qualified Technology Business is a business which derives a reasonable accounting of its income from the design, development, manufacture or other creation of technology-based products, processes, or related services.
Upon being certified by Fairfax City and entering into a performance agreement, Qualified Technology Businesses are eligible for various benefits including a total or partial exemption for up to five calendar years of BPOL taxes, beginning in the year the business becomes a Qualified Technology Business. The exemption schedule includes 100% BPOL exemption in Year One, 80% BPOL exemption in Year Two, 60% exemption in Year Three, 40% exemption in Year Four, and 20% exemption in Year Five.
For more information on the Technology Zone BPOL exemption, or to find out whether your business qualifies, contact us today!
The Fairfax City Economic Development Authority assists companies in obtaining information about various state and local investment incentives.
Regional Chambers and Associations
- Arab American Chamber of Commerce
- Asian American Chamber of Commerce
- Dulles Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Washington Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Latvian Chamber of Commerce
- Mid-Atlantic Venture Association
- Mid-Atlantic Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Mount Vernon-Lee Chamber of Commerce
- Northern Virginia Black Chamber of Commerce
- Northern Virginia Chamber of Commerce
- Northern Virginia Community College
- South Fairfax Chamber of Commerce
- Southeast Fairfax Development Corporation
- Vietnamese American Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Virginia Asian Chamber of Commerce
- Virginia Chamber of Commerce
- Virginia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Women’s Business Center of Northern Virginia